Can I get copies of the information used for financial disclosure?

Posted By Max Soni, Uncategorized On October 4, 2017

When you get married, you get married to spend the rest of your life with your spouse. You agree to stay together through sickness and health, and you agree to stay together for better or for worse. Unfortunately, many people make the decision to forgo their vows and spend their time doing things that don’t make the other happy. Perhaps your spouse cheated and you can’t deal with it with forgiveness. Perhaps you married a man who turned out to be abusive. Perhaps you simply don’t love your wife anymore and you want to get a divorce.
Whatever the case, you don’t want to be married anymore. Dissolving your marriage is the only way to go about changing your life, and you begin the process of divorce. Part of that process is disclosing specific information to your attorneys or the court. This information includes all your financial paperwork, and it’s used in a process called discovery. Discovery is when the court finds out what you have in terms of assets, liabilities, and other financial means. It’s used to determine who gets what, what is divided, and how things are exchanged throughout the divorce. It’s also used to determine child support, alimony, and it’s even factored into the child custody situation if you have kids involved.
Can I get copies of financials?
In some marriages, one person handles all the financial situations. This means they work hard to ensure the bills are paid, the accounts are filled, and things are in order. Both spouses sometimes talk about this or have access to this information, but that’s simply not how it works in many marriages. Perhaps one spouse works and the other stays home with the kids. The working spouse might have more control over the finances, and he might be the one who handles the bills, the budget, and the savings.
That leaves his wife out of the loop in terms of their finances. In other situations, both parties are perfectly aware of the finances, and they share the responsibility. Once you submit all that paperwork to the court, you might want to make sure your spouse is being honest about his or her income, assets, and debts. This means you want to see copies of the paperwork outlining your spouse’s financials once they’re submitted. You have that right, and you should ask for it.
Mandatory disclosure offers you the right to ask for that paperwork. You have a right to see what your spouse is saying he or she makes so you can be honest with the court about what is going on. If your spouse is attempting to hide some income or accounts so they don’t have to pay you as much alimony or child support, it’s lying.
Call an Attorney
An attorney can help you get through this process by making sure you know your rights. You’re not in the dark when it comes to your financials even in a court of law. Even if you are perfectly aware of the financial situation in which you’re in, you want to check to be sure your spouse is not hiding information from the court. This is your right, and your attorney can help you handle this situation when it arises.