How do I get my legal aid attorney to finish my case?

Posted By Max Soni, Uncategorized On October 3, 2017

If you are in the midst of a divorce case, you may have encountered an issue with bringing the proceedings to a conclusion. There are a couple of possible scenarios in which this situation may arise in regard to. or be somehow associated with, a Legal Aid lawyer. The first potential situation is one in which you actually have a Legal Aid lawyer, your case seems to have stalled, and you are wondering what you can do to get your Legal Aid lawyer to finish the case. The second situation is one in which you have been representing yourself, or have an attorney that doesn’t seem to be bringing your case to a conclusion. In this scenario, you wonder how you might get a Legal Aid lawyer to complete your divorce case.
Dealing with a Legal Aid Attorney Representing You in a Divorce Case
Legal Aid provides free, or low cost legal assistance to certain individuals in divorce proceedings. You are able to obtain representation by a Legal Aid attorney if you meet certain income guidelines established by the organization.
If you currently are represented by a Legal Aid lawyer, and your case seems to be at a standstill, the first step is to write to the attorney to request an explanation as to what is going on with your case. If you do not hear back from your lawyer in a reasonable time, or if you do not obtain an adequate explanation, the next step is to contact the attorney that oversees a particular Legal Aid office.
You will want to make this communication to the supervising lawyer in writing as well. Odds are you will obtain some sort of assistance regarding the status of your divorce case. If you do not, you may need to reach out to the attorney regulatory agency in your state. Every state has an organization or agency that is responsible for overseeing the professional conduct of lawyers. In some instances, an attorney that isn’t pursuing your case appropriately, or who does not properly communicate with you, can run afoul of the rules that govern the professional conduct of legal counsel.
The clerk of the highest court in your state, usually the supreme court, will have contact information for the organization or agency that regulates the professional conduct of attorneys in your state. You can obtain this information online or by telephoning the court clerk’s office.
Seeking a Legal Aid Lawyer to Finish Your Case
If you are representing yourself in your divorce case, or if you have an attorney, and your case seems to have stalled or isn’t making appropriate progress towards completion, you may want to seek assistance from Legal Aid. As mentioned previously, you need to meet certain income guidelines to be able to access legal assistance in your divorce case from this organization.
Legal Aid will schedule an initial consultation with you if you are not represented by legal counsel. If you do have an attorney, Legal Aid may not be able to immediately meet with you until your existing lawyer is advised of your desire to meet with an attorney from that organization. Legal Aid cannot take your case, even if you meet the income guidelines, until you formally terminate any lawyer you previously retained to represent you in your divorce case.