What if my husband keeps causing scenes at my workplace?

Posted By User, Uncategorized On July 1, 2018

It is always tricky when a marriage begins to split up, and unfortunately, some people have trouble accepting that a relationship is over. This can lead to all sorts of forms of harassment, ranging from mildly annoying to downright scary. For many people, this harassment may take the form of the ex repeatedly showing up at their job to cause a scene, berate them, or beg them to reconsider. If your ex continues to harass you while you are trying to work, there are a few different ways things you can do to handle the issue.

Make Sure You Stay Safe

The first step when your spouse is showing up and causing scenes at your workplace is to ensure your own safety. Some people want to stay quiet and avoid making a bigger scene, but ignoring a harasser is not always a guarantee of safety. If you feel threatened, do not hesitate to call the police. This may help to ensure your own safety, and having records showing your spouse’s behavior has required police intervention may make it easier to divorce them or get a restraining order against them.

Keep Records of the Harassment

It is a good idea to keep records of your spouse’s harassment campaign even if you do nothing else to stop them from bothering you at work. Make sure to note the date, time, and type of harassment. If there is security footage of the event, try to talk to your boss and ensure that the security footage is archived instead of being erased. If you live in a state where it is permissible to record without the other party’s consent, it can also be helpful to use your phone to record the harassment.
Having records will make it easier to obtain a restraining order if you decide that you want to go that route, and it may make your divorce a little easier. Showing that your spouse is capable of harassment can help to ensure that you get custody of your children because it shows the judge that the spouse may not be a responsible person. In some cases, it may lead to other favorable outcomes in a divorce, so it is always a good idea to keep records of the harassment and mention them to your attorney.

Talk to Your Employer About Trespassing Your Ex

Since your spouse is most likely disrupting the workspace by repeatedly showing up there, it should take the time to talk to your employer. At the very least, respectfully and maturely describing the situation to your employer may help to maintain your professional reputation. In most cases, employers will be willing to work with you to find a solution to the problem. After asking the spouse to leave and letting them know they are not welcome in the area, your employer or the owner of the area you work in can call the police and ask them to provide a trespassing warning.
Once this happens, the police can issue an official warning to your spouse. After a trespass notice is issued, your spouse should not enter the property within two years of the warning. If they continue to trespass, they may suffer from criminal charges. In most cases, trespassing is punished with fines. However, in some cases, trespassing can result in jail time for your spouse.

File for a Restraining Order Against Your Ex

There are many legal steps you can take to ensure that your spouse is no longer in contact with you. Showing up to your work to bother you may qualify as either harassment or stalking. Legally, harassment is normally defined as any threats or any actions intended to damage a person’s mental health and wellbeing. Stalking occurs when a person is repeatedly exhibiting behaviors that would appear intimidating or frightening to a reasonable person.
If your spouse is harassing and stalking you, then it may be time to get a restraining order. The exact process for filing a restraining order can vary a little from state to state, but it typically follows the same process. You will need to file a petition for a restraining order. The judge will then read the petition and either dismiss it, give you a temporary protection order while you prove your ex is harassing you, or provide an immediate restraining order. Once the restraining or protection order is served, your spouse may face fines, jail time, or criminal charges for violating the order and continuing to show up at your work.