What are my options if my husband abandoned me and the kids?

Posted By Max Soni, Uncategorized On October 3, 2017

Divorce is rarely an easy decision, but it’s made more difficult when your husband makes the decision to abandon you and the kids. When a man leaves his wife and kids home and doesn’t tell them where he is going, it’s considered abandonment. He no longer financially provides for them, doesn’t tell them where he is going, and he doesn’t make any contact. This is not the same thing as a man who chooses to leave his wife but remains in close contact with his kids or with her to see the kids. This is more like separation.
Abandonment is not something any court of law wants to see occur. They want to see men stay with their wives and kids and work things out, though this is not always the issue. They’d rather men and women leave one another but remain close to their kids, so they are quick to punish parents who abandon their own children. While the court sympathizes with a wife left behind and abandoned, it’s when the kids are involved that the situation becomes dire.
What do I do if my husband abandons me and our kids?
Now that this horrible situation is a reality in your life, you have to know what happens. When your husband leaves, you do have options. The best thing you can do is head straight to your local courthouse and file for divorce. This is a paper that allows you to pursue the end of your marriage as well as pursue other legal avenues. The court will find your husband, and that means he has to sign the paperwork or at least respond to it when it’s filed.
The court will also encourage you to file paperwork fighting for financial support and child support for the kids, and you cannot forget to file for a custody agreement. You get to make the decision how much you want the kids when he abandons them, but you also have the power to allow your spouse to request some custody of the kids. However, you’re not required. He abandoned you and your kids, and that gives you the right to file for sole custody of your kids.
You will state abandonment and desertion on your divorce filing. This allows the court to see he is not and was not there for you and your kids, and it makes the court less likely to allow him any custody of the kids if you choose not to allow that. His abandonment makes it appear he has no interest in providing for his kids or being any part of their life.
Call an Attorney
You can handle your own divorce paperwork if you want, but it’s always beneficial to have an experienced divorce attorney on your side. This is a man or woman who has ample experience with the courts and family law. He or she can help you understand what you need to say and do to get custody of your kids, to ensure he doesn’t, and to be sure he is punished for abandoning you. An attorney can help you fight for the financial support your kids deserve, and an attorney can help you with the aspects of the law you’re not familiar with. It’s a daunting experience, but it’s not one you must go through alone.