What if I want to stop the divorce after I already filed the papers?

Posted By User, Uncategorized On October 3, 2017

Marriage is a difficult thing. It takes a lot of hard work, a lot of effort, and a lot of give and take on both sides. Sometimes it’s hard, and other times your marriage is easy. It’s never always easy, but it just depends on how much you’re willing to give and take when you’re involved in a marriage. It’s also easy to get worked up in a moment of weakness. You might overreact when you have a big fight. You might decide you can’t do this anymore in an emotional time in your life, and you might let your emotions get the best of you.

Sometimes you are so upset about something that you make poor decisions. Perhaps your life is in turmoil right now due to job loss, the loss of a loved one, big changes, and other stressful things going on, and you make the decision to divorce your spouse when your emotions are riding high. You’ve already gone to the local Clerk of Court’s office and filed the paperwork, and then you have a little time to calm down and think about what you just did. That’s when you realize you don’t want a divorce. Is it too late to put a stop to it?

Can I stop my divorce once the paperwork is already filed?
You can stop the paperwork, but the process is not always simple. If you just filed it and want to put a stop to it before your spouse is served with divorce papers, you must get to the courthouse immediately and put in a request to stop the filing. You can do this, but only if the paperwork has not yet been officially filed with the court.
If your spouse has already been served with paperwork for a divorce, it becomes a little more complicated. Your spouse, for example, might not be very happy to see that you want to end your marriage, and he or she might not want to put a stop to it knowing you were so upset in your marriage it really came to this.

You have an option to end the divorce filing at any point so long as you both agree once he or she has been served. You can stop a divorce up until the final divorce decree has been issued. If that’s already been signed and filed, it’s too late. Before then, however, you do have the option. You need to approach the court or have your attorney do this. You’ll ask to stop the divorce. The judge will ask why, and you must provide a reasonable reason such as you want to work on your marriage.

The catch is you must both agree to this. You cannot ask the court to stop a divorce if the other party wants to continue the divorce. If you can both show up, tell the court you want to remain married and work on things, and you can do this together, the court will grant your request. They want to see you stay married and keep your family together. It’s far more enjoyable to do this than sign yet another divorce decree in the court, so your request is very likely to be granted.

How can I find out what the status of my divorce case is?

If you are in the midst of a divorce, you are probably hoping that things will end as quickly and painlessly as possible. Unfortunately, various factors can cause these cases to drag on longer than expected. Throughout some of the process, you might not even feel as if you are fully informed about what is going on. Right now, you could be wondering about what the status of your divorce case is. Luckily, there are ways that you can ensure that you are informed about what is going on with this major life-changing matter.

What are the Different Statuses for a Divorce Case?

Of course, divorce laws vary from state to state. In general, once a divorce matter has been submitted to the court, there are two statuses: Active and Disposed.

If your divorce is considered to be “active,” then it means that it is not finalized yet. The court might still be waiting for more paperwork or might be trying to process your paperwork. If your divorce remains in this status for an extended period of time, you may need to look into whether or not you need to take further steps.

If your divorce is considered to be “disposed,” it could mean one of two things. Generally, this means that your divorce has been finalized. You should be able to pick up the final paperwork of your divorce decree from your lawyer’s office or the courthouse when your divorce case is in this status. Occasionally, this can mean that your case has been dismissed. This isn’t very common, but it can happen for things like fraudulent documents. If you find that your case has been dismissed, you will need to work with a good divorce attorney to find out more about what steps you can take to complete your divorce.

How Can You Find Out About Your Divorce Status?

For most people, hiring a lawyer to help with a divorce is a smart move. There is often a lot of paperwork that goes along with getting divorced, and if you aren’t careful, you could make a mistake somewhere along the way. Plus, while your life as you know it is being uprooted, it can be easier to let someone else handle everything so that you can focus on putting your life back together.

If you did happen to hire a lawyer for your divorce case, you should be able to contact him or her for more information about what is going on with your case. Your lawyer should be on top of this and should be able to provide you with this information and answers to any questions that you might have about what is going on with your divorce.

If you did not hire a lawyer, you might feel as if you are “in the dark” about what is going on with your case. Because of this, you could find yourself wishing that you had hired a lawyer. The first thing that you can do is to contact the courthouse. Then, you should be able to get information about your divorce case’s status, and you may be given advice about how to proceed. If your case has been dismissed or if you are having other problems, you may want to contact an experienced divorce lawyer so that you can try again.