Why you need a criminal lawyer when accused of a crime
If you are charged with a crime, you will need the help of an nyc criminal attorney. Only a defense attorney can properly defend and preserve your rights in a court of law.
If you are accused of a crime, you have a constitutional right to counsel. This something you should never take for granted. Sadly, there are many people who truly believe they can represent themselves in court. In fact, that is not the case. If you haven’t attended law school or have little knowledge of the legal system, you will lack an adequate understanding of the law. The chances of you successfully defending yourself in a court of law is statistically less than 1%.
In the U.S., you are considered innocent until proven guilty. You will need a lawyer to thoroughly explain your situation. Only a good defense lawyer can provide a strategy to help you during your time of crisis.
Depending of the crime you are accused of, a conviction could put you behind bars for many years. You can also face heavy fines, probation, criminal record, and other severe penalties.
Prosecutors are crafty, tenacious, and determined to win their case at all costs. The will use everything in their extensive arsenal to make sure they secure a conviction. Prosecutors not only wield a great deal of power, their decisions can determine the outcome of a case. This is why you need a seasoned attorney to fight for your rights.
How An Experienced DWI Attorney Can Help
- Serve as advocate during your arraignment
- Keep you abreast of your legal options during the criminal process
- Serve as advocate during court appearances
- Serve as advocate during pre-trial hearings
- Collect, examine, and investigate all evidence
- Cross examine witnesses during your trial
- Engage in plea negotiations to help reduce sentence
- Present alternative ideas regarding the crime
- Work to settle your case if it serves in your best interest
Just as your criminal defense can assist you during trial, they can also be useful before your trial begins.
If you are charged with a crime, you may get released if you get bail. The amount of bail can vary wildly depending on a number of factors including the crime, criminal record and flight risk. A good defense attorney may be able to convince the judge to lower your bail so that you can raise the funds to get out.
Your defense attorney will look over your case and determine the pros and cons of how you plea. Cases are rarely open and shut. Most cases have both strengths and weaknesses. If the evidence in your case, such as DNA, is iron clad, your attorney may have to go with a plea deal.
There are also times when your case can be appealed. The most common reasons:
- Unreasonable Verdict – You may be able to challenge the verdict based on the weakness of the evidence. Your attorney must convince the court of appeals that jurors unreasonably found guilt based on weak evidence.
- Error of Law – Errors made during the trial can include wrong instructions given to the jury or even wrongful admission of evidence.
- Miscarriage of Justice – The court can find errors in both law and fact as a miscarriage of justice. Other examples can be in finding that either a juror or judge was biased in their duty.
If you have been accused of a crime, find an experienced defense attorney as soon as possible. Only they can provide you the vigorous defense you need to protect your rights.